Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Guinn

Guinn were a R&B group from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania that consisted of the Guinn siblings: Randy, Michael, Skip, Bonnie, Earl, Marjorie and Lori Fulton (who was born in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania).

Michael, Skip, Bonnie, Marjorie, & Lori sang while Randy played bass and Earl played guitars.

The group has worked together since 1970 and Lori joined in 1985 during a collaboration between the group and their mutual publishing house. Bonnie and Marjorie originally worked under the name "The Passionettes."

Guinn recorded a few songs under the name "New Experience" on the Philly World record label.
In 1986, Guinn released their self-titled debut album on Motown Records. It's unknown how or if the album ever charted at all.
One of the songs on their album, "Dreamin" was later recorded by singer Vanessa Williams in 1988 for her debut album & it became an R&B and pop hit in February of 1989.


The follow-up singles "Open Your Door" and "People Will Be People" were released, but didn't appear to chart at all.

Today, it's unknown what Guinn is up to. I haven't been able to find any information about their whereabouts whatsoever. It seems as if the group has faded into obscurity.

To see a fan-made video for "Dreamin," go to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCAMD5AYhGY

To see a fan-made video for "Open Your Door," go to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCKgY4uBDaM

2 comments:

DJ Sean Banks said...

I began as an on-air personality in 1986 just as Guinn's album dropped. I did overnights and my In Full Chill Quiet Storm show was a part of my broadcast. Being just 18 then was a brand new experience and I was able to flex my playlist as I wished, so when I heard Dreamin', I fell in love with it and played it as often as possible. Unfortunately, not as many people picked up on it like I wanted to. Then Vanessa Williams comes out with the remake and it goes #1. Something was wrong with that picture because there wasn't that much of a difference. Guinn got cheated out of a hit record they made first. I still play the original Dreamin' and to let the Guinn family know they are not forgotten.

-DJ Sean Banks

Arrogantminds said...

@Dj Sean Banks I agree there is not much of a difference between Guinn's version and Vanessa Willaims version although I prefer the original version. It probably had more to do with the how the label promoted the single because I dont see why the first version wasnt a hit.