Thursday, December 31, 2009

Small Change

Small Change were an R&B group from the early 90s that consisted of four teenage cousins from North Philadelphia: Tamika Jarmon, Lakuana Brockington, Neamen Howard and Kairi Guinn-Styles. Their mentor and manager were Kairi's father, Wayne Styles.
In 1991, Small Change released their self-titled debut album which peaked at #69 on Billboard's R&B Albums chart.
The first single, "Why" peaked at #25 on Billboard's Hot R&B Singles chart, staying on the charts for 12 weeks.
The follow-up single, "Teardrops" peaked at #37 on Billboard's Hot R&B Singles, staying on the charts for 10 weeks.

The last single, "This Must Be Love" was unsuccessful, peaking only at #69 on Billboard's Hot R&B Singles chart, staying on the chart for only 8 weeks. After that, it seemed as if the group faded into obscurity.

These days, Tamika now goes under the name "Tamika Jarmon-Lyles." Lakuana Brockington runs her own home daycare center in Philadelphia.

Neamen Howard lives in Albany, Georgia and also has a Facebook page, but it's set to private.

In 1996, Kairi Guinn-Styles was featured on Johnny Gill's album, "Let's Get the Mood Right" on the track "I Know You Want Me" in which he also wrote the song, but it's unknown what he is up to today.

To see a fan-made video for "Why," go to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjTAFOdTe7I

To see a fan-made video for "Teardrops," go to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeMRg-67LQU

To see a fan-made video for "This Must Be Love," go to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tScUI9Ow2A


[updated on 05\07\12]-[Note: the original videos have been switched to fan-made videos because they are no longer available to view as far as I can tell]

7 comments:

willio1 said...

thanks for posting this! been tryig to find this group for years. forgot their name but remembered the song. much appreciated!

bryantwilliams777 said...

I found & bought their CD a couple of days ago and I still remember the words to every song on there. Been trying to find it since '92 & finally found it!

Ronnie said...

I have been looking for this song FOREVER! I almost thought I was the only person that remembered it! Thank you so much!

Ronnie said...

Here's a link to the video. http://www.myspace.com/video/small-change/why/100001603

Bob P said...

I actually edited the official music video for "Teardrops" back in the early '90s. You can find it at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7yOgtxT6Wk

Always thought this talented group should have made it to the top!

Boogie said...

I remember seeing them on Soul Train and fell in love with their whole style and message..I was 14 at the time. I agree with Bob P. they shouldve been Huge.

robin howard said...

I loved this group as a child and was amazed to see my cousin Neiman singing live on stage I'm glad to see u doing well cousin I miss u and love u very much I wish u guys can have a reunion for the group .from ur cousin Robin Howard