Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Chris Bender

Chris Bender (born Christopher Lamont Bender on August 2, 1972 in Boston, Massachusetts) was another young, talented R&B singer whose up & coming career came to a terrible end. He grew up in Brockton, Massachusetts and later lived in Waltham, Massachusetts.
When he was 16 years old, Chris recorded his first album, "Baby Doll" on Epic Records, but the album was never released.  

According to his manager, Terryl L. Calloway, the album didn't sell and the video was never released. The only single released from the album was "Baby Girl." Despite that, Chris went on to secure a $500,000 contract with EastWest Records and signed a seven-album contract, but unfortunately only one album was released.
In 1991, he released his second album "Draped" which peaked at #92 on Billboard's R&B Albums chart.
His first single "I Knew" peaked at #43 on Billboard's R&B Singles chart, staying on the chart for 10 weeks, becoming his only highest chart appearance.
The follow-up single "That's Not the Way" peaked at #68 on Billboard's Hot R&B Singles chart, staying on the chart for 5 weeks.

Sadly on November 3, 1991 at 2:17 a.m., Chris was shot & killed in Brockton, Masschusetts while sitting in a car outside of the housing project where his mother resided. He was only 19 years old.

His assailant, Eroy Kindell was convicted of second-degree murder and has since been recently released from prison while his accomplice  Stephen "Sticks" Fernandes was convicted of first-degree murder and sentenced to life in prison without parole.

Chris Bender was a young, talented singer whose career was cut short by a terrible tragedy. He will never be forgotten.

To see a fan-made video for "Baby Girl," go to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEay47ioEF4

To see the music video for "I Knew," go to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOhze3v7nPk

To see a fan-made video for "That's Not the Way," go to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRCiIxEgwJ0




[updated on 05\30\13]

5 comments:

OnlyMe said...

These songs are great, the whole album was. But for real he is best remembered for "who will I choose". The album came out when I was 14 and even my son who is 14 now even knows of this song. Chris bender was and still is one of the best artists of the 90's.

Michael JB said...

I had the CD single for "I Knew". It was one of my faves to listen to back then.

Donna D. said...

I was living in Brockton when this young man was murdered. It is a damn shame to lose your life in such a senseless manner.

Bobby Jones said...

I worked with Chris Bender when he was only 12 years old. I started work with him at my recording studio in Brockton. He had a voice back then which sounded like the young Michael Jackson. I still have all his recording I did with him. I always told him to stay away from the bad boys, they will not like you are your music, the girls are going to go crazy over you remember that. he was the best artist I trained and work with. Many people don't know I started the talented Chris Bender off, I miss him still.

Don Steel said...

Is there a blog or website where we can find Chris Bender rare recordings? He was so talented and its not much of his music avay, its almost impossible to find news on him other than his death, if there's more music, please let the world here, please dont vault his music forever. I hope his earlier music will be released. Thank you.