Monday, April 7, 2008

The Sugar Babes

The Sugar Babes were an R&B girl group from Los Angeles, California consisted of members Stacie Irvin, Patrice Lydia and Kimiko Whittaker.

In 1987, the trio released their debut single "We Rock the Beat" which peaked at #58 on Billboard's Hot Black Singles chart, staying on the chart for 8 weeks.

During that same year, the Sugar Babes released their self-titled debut album on MCA Records, which didn't appear to make the charts at all.


The follow-up singles "I'll Educate You (On My Love)" and "The Perfect Kind of Love" failed to make any impact on the charts. Unfortunately, the group's debut album turned out to be their last one and they soon faded into obscurity.

In the early '90s, Stacye and Kimiko became a duo and scored moderate success on the R&B charts. Kimiko was planning on releasing a solo album in 1992, but it was never released.

This cute, precocious girl group had somewhat faded into obscurity, but according to a comment from the Isle of Deserted Pop Stars blog, Kimiko is married with two children and owns her own business.

As for Stacye & Patrice, they have seemed to faded into obscurity. Stacye and Kimiko's album is available on Amazon and possibly on Ebay. The Sugar Babes' album is hard to find and you can try your luck to find it on Ebay.

To see the music video for "We Rock the Beat", go to:

To see a fan-made video for "I'll Educate You (On My Love)," go to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nnoFb9Fne0

To see a fan-made video for "The Perfect Kind of Love," go to:

2 comments:

Pirouette said...

I loooved the Sugar Babes! When I was 7 or 8 I begged my dad to by me their album. I have that thing on tape too. I just might have to break it out! LOL!

ready reg said...

i used to date Kimiko...lol we met at a party in pasadena...at starla's house... i remember when she told me that her and her sister and her cousin we're gonna be famous singers... this is before they made it... i was so proud of her when she made it. :)